13.5.13

Snails in Blooms









"Despise not a snail for its slow and struggling movement; it has a destination and with time it shall arrive" - African proverb 

As I child, one of my favorite pastime was collecting snails in the garden. I would  keep them for a while and then let them go. At one point in my adult life, I adopted a fresh water snail, who I called Snailbert (awesome name, right?). He lived happily in his little fish bowl for three (or was it five) years, slowly moving around, eating away at the algae that grew. He was a sweet little guy with a kind gentle soul, I'm really glad I got to meet him. 
A few weeks ago, I picked up some herbs at the nursery and found a little snail munching away at a basil plant.  Apart of me wanted to take it home, but decided I'm not up for owning another snailbert. So, I gently put it down, and wished him or her a happy life and we both went on our way.  

Something about these slow- moving slimy creatures make me smile; so I went ahead and painted some.
Now I think I might paint some more! Do you love snails as much as I do?  

Print now available in my Etsy shop. 

XO
Emma



No comments:

Post a Comment